Using Evidence to Improve Quality, Safety and Patient Outcomes
9th Annual Perioperative Medicine Summit
February 20-22, 2014
Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
You can register for the 2014 Summit here. Download the 2014 brochure here.
The goal of this 3-day summit is to enable clinicians who are actively engaged in perioperative medical care to incorporate the latest findings from clinical research and recommendations from evidence-based guidelines into their practices so that they can improve the quality and safety of their medical care.
Abstract submission for the 2014 Perioperative Medicine Summit will be available soon. Please leave your email address in the comments field of any of the pages on this site and we will alert you to when the 2014 abstracts are available.
Internists, hospitalists, family practitioners, anesthesiologists, physician assistants, surgeons, certified nurse anesthetists, nurse practitioners and allied health professionals engaged in management of the perioperative patient.
As a result of participating in this activity, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the need for improving, quality, safety, accountability and transparency in the US healthcare system
- Appraise the literature in the area of surgical safety
- Highlight common intraoperative scenarios causing stress to patients
- Examine the role of biomarkers and emerging risk factors for preoperative cardiac risk stratification prior to non-cardiac surgery
- Identify the emerging issues in the management of OSA for noncardiac surgery
- Examine the role of risk stratification tools for postop pneumonia
- Outline the principles of management of new and old antithrombotic therapies
- Appraise the importance of preventing VTE postoperatively
- Review the latest recommendations of the ACCP guidelines including those regarding extended prophylaxis
- Outline the risk factors for morbidity and mortality in renaldisease patients
- Evaluate strategies for optimal postoperative glucose control in the ICU patient
- Examine management strategies for sepsis in the surgical patient
- Assess the appropriate use of adjunctive analgesic agents in the perioperative period
- Analyze various models of delivering preoperative care to improve perioperative care
- Examine the medicolegal issues in the management of surgical patients
- Examine the role of the hospitalist in optimizing patients for orthopedic surgery
- Outline steps to prevent and manage postop medical complications in transplant patients
8th Annual Perioperative Medicine Summit 2013
The 8th Annual Perioperative Medicine Summit took place on March 7-9th, 2013 in Miami Beach, Florida. 2014 Summit attendees will be able to download the PDF handouts from the sessions. The 2013 handouts are here:
March 7, 2013 - Perioperative Summit Handouts
March 8, 2013 - Perioperative Summit Handouts
March 9, 2013 - Perioperative Summit Handouts
You can register for the 2014 Summit here.
Download the 2014 brochure here.